Tuesday, October 14, 2008

McCain a Radical?

An editorial from the NY Sun in 2006. An excerpt:
Many years had passed since then, and I bore little animosity for anyone because of what they had done or not done during the Vietnam War.

This is a quote from John McCain in May 2006 during a commencement speech at Columbia College. McCain was recounting the story of one David Ifshin who, in 1970, was a war protester and travelled to Hanoi with Jane Fonda and broadcast remarks over Radio Hanoi. McCain indicated he heard the broadcast while he was a POW. Ifshin was called a traitor at the time. He was accused of being responsible for more American deaths.

McCain stated that he and Ifshin reconciled and later worked together for an organization that promoted human rights in Vietnam.

I came to admire him for his generosity, his passion for his ideals, for the largeness of his heart, and I realized he had not been my enemy, but my countryman . . . my countryman ...and later my friend.

Boy, this story sounds amazingly familiar. But wait, wasn't Ifshin a "radical"?

John McCain - you're a hypocrite.

No comments:

Post a Comment