Saturday, July 11, 2009

Houston, We Have a Problem


...And her name is Peanut.

Whenever we let the dogs out we check on them periodically - typically about every 15 minutes. With dogs, you have to be careful because it only takes a minute or two for them get into something they shouldn't.

Many of you know that one of the reasons we paid mucho dollars to have a 6-foot privacy fence installed was because Peanut had learned to climb our four foot chain link fence. It seems we didn't spend enough. Perhaps we should have splurged for an 8-foot fence.

I walked outside to do the usual check and called for Peanut. She did not come. I called again. She did not come. Peanut ALWAYS comes when she's called. Then I heard panting on the other side of the fence. I strode to the big gate and opened it. There she was in the neighbor's front yard - I called and she came.

Our neighbors have recently acquired some cats that they allow to roam. I'm fairly certain that Peanut climbed out in order to get a cat. From the looks of her, I think I can say with some certainty that she did not catch the cat. That's a good thing. The bad thing is that now she knows she can climb out and we're going to have to get very creative in keeping her inside the backyard. This is not the kind of challenge I like - I'm likely to lose a few years over this.

No comments:

Post a Comment